Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dessert - Don't be afraid!

I had a client ask me for a sweet treat idea, and so I needed to get creative on this one.  Part of eating healthy is keeping an open mind and exploring new options, so here goes:

Vegan Black Bean Brownies (I combined a couple of recipes to make this one.  Others had too much fat or sugar)
Servings: 9

These brownies are a great alternative to traditional brownies!

Warning: Because there isn't any flour they come out pretty dense in case you are looking for a cake brownie.

Note: Rolled oats may substituted for the instant oats. Put the rolled oats in the food processor.  Use optional sugar if your bananas are still green and not very ripe. (I used ripe bananas that were a perfect sweetener!)


Ingredients:
•15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
•2 whole bananas
•⅓ cup honey or for a rich taste maple syrup or molasses
•¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
•1 tbsp cinnamon
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•¼ cup raw sugar (optional)
•¼ cup instant oats (you can definitely use Gluten Free Oats!)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

If you find these brownies are too soft, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

If you give the recipe a try, let me know what you think!!
mer

2 comments:

  1. Meredith,
    These brownies are fabulous - I made them last Saturday, and they were ALL gone by Sunday!
    I didn't have any honey on hand, so I substituted with the coconut sugar I just discovered at the health food store - DELICIOUS.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these exactly as you posted and you were right, they don't even need the extra sugar!! I was craving chocolate and couldn't bring myself to go to the store and buy something unhealthy. At least with these I get a good dosing of protein from the beans! I love brownies more than any other dessert and these are FAB!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete